Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Forever Learning...

This is my eighth year at Camp Campbell.  I've officially spent a month of my life in this beautiful place.  While the teacher accommodations are quite a bit more rustic than those the students enjoy, we all get to immerse ourselves in this remarkable setting.



Wandering from group to group, I learn so many things from the Outdoor Specialists who are teaching your children.  I watched two groups in the "Low Ropes" area.  One team was working on crossing the entire group from one boundary to the next with a low hanging rope.  They couldn't walk on the area, and if anyone's feet touched the group, they had to start over.  Once they had secured the rope using a very long fallen branch, imagine the organization it took for eighteen 9-11 year olds to figure out who was going to go first and how to ensure everyone was successful.  It was quite a lesson in simple engineering and cooperation.

Meanwhile, another team was attempting to get the entire team atop a massive see-saw.  While the instrument itself was no more than 12 inches high, it tipped each time someone climbed aboard. Careful balance and placement was necessary.

The third group working up past the Treetop cabins was playing a game of "Jays and Juncos", learning about the predatory practices of jays and how that impacts the life cycle of the junco population.  Students needs to think about how they might disguise a nest in addition to how they should move to and from their nest so as not to draw attention to it.

All three of these activities were new to me, welcome chances to see outdoors learning in action with students highly engaged in all three instances.

I'd be remiss not to share some terrific photographs that Mr. Rousseau took during a hike with one of the groups.

More to come after our night hikes this evening.





4 comments:

  1. Now that is an incredible adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did anyone "lick a Banana Slug"? I remember that being the talk of the town (way back) when I went to Science Camp ; )

    ReplyDelete