Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Gaga Ball, Class Meetings, and more

My afternoon included a raucous game of gaga ball with a few students.  It was SO fun, but my knees are going to hate me in the morning.  Just like many of our students, I'm dusty, sweaty, and smiling.

I also enjoyed a leisurely meander through the substantial camp garden with one of the field groups.  Please check out the photos below.  We learned about traditional composting, worm composting, and filtering.  Students tasted a number of herbs and heirloom tomatoes which many of them enjoyed.

One of my favorite activities at camp is the hour that I get to spend with my own class.  Each of us was grateful to gather our students and spend some time with them eliciting information on cabin leaders and choosing activities for tomorrow.  During my meetings, I ask for each student to report a rose (favorite thing) and thorn (worse thing/problem). Showcasing their tremendous athleticism, many of the students' roses included the hikes. Additionally, a number of them loved the food and being with friends.  Cabin leaders were also a popular rose.  My rose was hearing a student voice with quiet confidence: "My rose is the opportunity to be more independent."

At the moment, we are all (teachers and students alike) enjoying a little "cabin time". For teachers that means taking time to compare notes and catch out breaths in our Riverview cabin.  Some students are playing games with cabin mates while other cabins have chosen to have a little quiet time, read, and have a shower.  I would love to put my head down for a few minutes, but I fear I mightn't wake up 'til morning, so that will wait.  Mrs. O'Loughlin logged over 20,000 steps on her FitBit yesterday and we were only here for half a day.  Camp is great exercise!

Following dinner, we will embark on our night hikes. If you're up after the sun sets, stay tuned for a report on Camp Campbell After Dark!  
















3 comments:

  1. Thank you Mrs. A! Can't wait for the next update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "opportunity to be independent" rose of a student. I am curious... What did they eat for dinner tonight? :-)
    Take rest Mrs.A.

    ReplyDelete
  3. See above for details on tonight's activities. It was a VERY full day.

    ReplyDelete