Thursday, August 14, 2014

Thursday's Events

I hope the students enjoyed today as much as I did.  We started off very quickly with a variety of reading assessments and an introduction to Khan Academy.  Students may access Khan Academy from home  I will set them "Khan" homework from time-to-time and we will also use it to support math instruction at school.

The students collaborated in small groups to order a set of figures by area. A number of groups presented to the classroom, providing mathematical rationale for their decisions. There was some GREAT mathematical thinking going on.

This afternoon, we dipped our toes into our first science unit, water.

Feel free to watch the short video clip that we watched today and have your child explain some of the ideas that we discussed:

Ed Ted Ocean

We finished the day off trying to build 3-dimensional models from 2-D representations to give us a taste of volume.

Homework

Language Arts: Read 20 minutes

Math:  Find the volume of your refrigerator
Other: Forms from orange packet completed and returned.

No comments:

Post a Comment